Design Action Collective is currently seeking applicants for a Web Designer.
Want to use your skills as a Designer to serve movements for social justice? Come join a unique team of designers & developers — who are also activists, organizers, cultural workers, artists and musicians — and become a part of our fast paced, mission driven shop.
Design Action is a worker-owned design and communications studio. Our shop was founded in 2002 and is located in downtown Oakland, California. We are committed to providing high-quality visual communications tools to progressive, non-profit, and grassroots activist organizations. Design Action is also a closed union shop affiliated with the Pacific Media Guild, Local 39521 Communication Workers of America (typographical sector, AFL/CIO). We are majority non-cis male and people-of-color owned.
Our web team workflow requires a Project Manager, an Information Architect, a Designer, and a Web Developer for each website we build. We work on multiple projects at a time and each of us usually takes on more than one role per project, so we all have diverse skill sets, such as Design and Information Architecture, or Development and Project Management, etc. This job role requires someone with the ability or interest to take on two or more of the skills necessary for our web process. You can read more about our web workflow here.
- Interest and involvement in progressive social change work and/or worker-owned cooperatives
- Interest and/or experience with business ownership (all our hires are put on a path of collective ownership of our business)
- Agreement with our Points of Unity (https://designaction.org/about/points-of-unity)
- Experience with creating design mockups
- Proficient in industry standard software (Adobe CS, Sketch)
- Proficient with Mac computers (we are a Mac-based shop)
- Portfolio containing design samples and project examples
- Ability to juggle multiple projects
- Attention to detail & appreciation for design
- Ability to take on or learn some web development, project management, or information architecture
- Experience with and/or understanding of open-source content management systems (e.g. WordPress, Joomla, Drupal); the majority of our websites are built in WordPress
- Basic experience with web development or information architecture
- Experience with project management
- Experience with office or small business management
- Experience with UX design, user testing, and/or quality assurance
- Experience with collective decision-making
The position is full time (37.5 hrs/week) at $27/hr*. It is based in our Oakland office (not available for long-term remote working). We are looking for someone to start immediately.
As a candidate, you will be eligible for an ownership position after completing a 9 month Collective Track period. A senior member of the shop will serve as your “buddy,” facilitating evaluations, support your growth, and orienting you to the flow of the shop. You will be expected to fulfill certain collective duties, including attending a weekly board meeting, as part of your ownership responsibilities.
- 75 hours of paid wellness/sick time each year, which begins upon hire
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Full health, dental and vision insurance
- Flex Spending Accounts (FSA) for medical, dependent care, and commuters
- Paid vacation starts at 37.5 hours annually after the first year, increasing based on longevity
- Possible year-end bonuses depending on annual profits
- Company patronage (profit sharing)
- 3 month sabbatical at half pay available to long term members
One of the biggest pluses of being at Design Action is the rare opportunity to be a worker/owner at a design & tech business that is explicitly committed to social justice. Our democratic workplace structure (no bosses!) allows us to put our political values into action. In addition, many of our members are rooted in community activism and organizing on issues such as anti-imperialism, prison abolition, tenant & housing rights, anti-racism, gender equity, and environmental justice. We also hold regular anti-oppression trainings as well as annual staff and department retreats where we can build our camaraderie with one another and strategize on ways to keep our business bold, radical, and thriving.
Design Action is part of several alliances and networks such as Third World Resistance, Grassroots Global Justice, May First Movement Technology, The Radical Connections Network, Network of Bay Area Worker Cooperatives, and the U.S Federation of Worker Cooperatives. Collective members also have the opportunity to attend annual conferences such as the Allied Media Conference, Aspiration Tech, and Netroots, to present and/or participate in workshops as well as staff our informational booths.
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know a little about you. Only applications with cover letters will be reviewed.
BIPOC (BLACK, INDIGENOUS, AND PEOPLE OF COLOR), WOMEN, GENDER NON-CONFORMING PEOPLE, AND LGBTQAI++ PEOPLE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
* Pay rates are not negotiable