Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your résumé and cover letter to apply. Please list the position you are applying for in your subject line.
Application period to remain open until positions filled. To ensure your application is considered, please do not wait to apply.
Job Description: Web Developer/Front End Developer (August 2018)
Design Action Collective is currently seeking applicants for a Web Developer/Front End Developer.
Want to use your skills as a Web Developer to serve movements for social justice? Come join a unique team of designers & developers — who are also activists, organizers, cultural workers, artists and musicians — and become a part of our fast paced, mission driven shop. Sharing in the ownership of our cooperative business is both exciting and rewarding.
We are a 13 person worker-owned design and communications studio. Our shop was founded in 2002 and is located in downtown Oakland, California. We are committed to providing high-quality visual communications tools to progressive, non-profit, and grassroots activist organizations. We are majority women and people of color owned.
The Web Developer/ Front End Developer will join a team of developers and designers building custom WordPress websites and stand alone web applications. Depending on experience, the developer will be responsible for part or all of the phases of site building and deployment.
- Interest and involvement in progressive social change work and/or worker-owned cooperatives
- Agreement with our Points of Unity (https://designaction.org/about/points-of-unity)
- Proficient in cross-platform and browser-compatible HTML/CSS/SASS
- Experience with translating design mockups into code templates
- Experience with and/or understanding of open-source content management systems (e.g. WordPress, Joomla, Drupal); the majority of our websites are built in WordPress
- Proficient in industry standard software (Adobe CS, Sketch)
- Portfolio containing code samples and project examples
- Ability to juggle multiple projects
- Sense of humor (very important)
- Use of WordPress functions
- Proficient use of Git
- Basic experience with web design and information architecture
- Experience with project management
- Experience with office or small business management
- Experience with UX design, user testing design and/or quality assurance
The Collective Track
The candidate will be eligible for ownership position after completing a 9 month Collective Track period. The candidate will have an experienced member of the shop as their “buddy” who will facilitate evaluations and support their growth. They will be expected to fulfill certain collective duties, including attending a weekly board meeting, as part of their ownership responsibilities.
We are a Mac-based shop. Closed union shop (CWA typographical sector, AFL/CIO). Starting immediately.
This position is full time (37.5 hrs/week). The pay is 24/hr + full benefits. There is a 9 month collective candidacy track to be considered for collective ownership. All collective owners are eligible for company patronage.
Please send a resume and cover letter detailing your interests at the intersection of technology and social justice and why you’d be a good fit for this position to email@example.com. Please include the phrase ‘Web Developer‘ in your email subject line
WOMEN, GENDER NON-CONFORMING PEOPLE, LGBTQIA+ AND PEOPLE OF COLOR STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
* Pay rates are not negotiable.